Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Journey & Destination

This has been an eternity in the making. I've been working on this album for two plus years. I recorded the initial set of about 8 demos in the first six months, and then spent about another year just making songs here and there. And then after that I spent another 6 months just kind of tweaking here and there. This album is still far from perfect, but I came to the realization, that if I kept trying to make it perfect, that it would probably never get released. So I bit the bullet and decided that this is as good as it's going to get right now.

The title and general theme of this album is the idea that some people believe in the journey of life and that some people believe in the destination. How for some people it's all about the experiences you have while living, and for some some people it's all about working toward an End Result and they don't care how they get there, just as long as they do. I've tried to decide what kind of person I am, and I've come to realization that I'm a little of both, which made for an interesting musical theme for this album. If you look at the song titles, artwork and content of the album a little more closely you might find a little bit more there than you'd think. Every thing on this album was very intentional, and thought out.

When I made Homage Collage I had just started getting into electronic music more, and when I started DJing I got insanely into electro, which is where a lot of my inspiration for this album came from. Even though I wouldn't really consider this an electro album. In my eyes it's much more of an electronic rock album. Which has always kind of been the type of music I make. Check the inspiration section to get a pretty big list of the stuff I was listening to while making J&D. I spent so many days walking around with my ipod on listening to Toxic Avenger, and Justice trying to figure out how they made the sounds they did. The whole album is kind of a love letter to all those electronic artist that I've been banging my head too for these past few years.

This album is a big change in sound from my first album Homage Collage, and my next album (which yes, I am already working on) is going to be an even bigger leap. It's kind of strange releasing this album now because I feel like my music has already really evolved past the sound presented on this album, and for a brief period I actually considered never releasing this. It all came down to a question of Journey & Destination for me. If the experience of making these songs was enough or if I needed something to show for it. In the end I decided that I'd spent way to much time and energy to banish this album to my archives. So here it is finally. Enjoy.

JOURNEY & DESTINATION
1.Dance Lessons
2.End Result
3.Captcha
4.AT-AT
5.Ampersand
6.Hearts & Minds
7.Mars Is Bright Tonight
8.iROC
9."Wearing A Moustache"

Status: Official 2nd album
File Under: Journey & Destination
Duration: 43:42
Inspiration: Toxic Avenger, Boys Noize, RAC, Justice, MSTRKRFT, Simian Mobile Disco, 65daysofstatic, Daft Punk, Innerpartysystem, The Bloody Beetroots, Fake Blood, Steve Aoki, Ratatat, Surkin, DIM, Data, Danger, Kavinsky, Sebastian, Felix Cartal, DJ Mehdi, Crookers, and a shit ton more

No comments:

Post a Comment